Donor Advised Fund
Harness the Giving Power of a Private Foundation
A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to the H. E. Butt Foundation and other charities.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted. You can create a lasting legacy by naming your loved ones as your successor to continue to recommend grants to charitable organizations, or name the H. E. Butt Foundation as a beneficiary to receive all or part of the account after your lifetime. With a donor advised fund, you also avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
Support What Matters
Learn more about donor advised funds. View and download the FREE guide One-Stop Giving: The Convenience and Simplicity of Donor Advised Funds.View My Guide
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?
Our complimentary resource will walk you through the estate planning process step-by-step.Download My Kit
An Example of How It Works
"Joe" and "Laura" want to give back to their hometown by putting their money where it will do the most good. They establish a $25,000 donor advised fund with a community foundation.
The couple receives a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount of the gift. They also get all the time they need to decide which charities to support.
After researching community needs with the foundation’s staff, "Joe" and "Laura" recommend grants for the H. E. Butt Foundation (which they’ve supported for years) and a local animal shelter. The foundation presents the charities with checks from the Patricia Fund, which "Joe" and "Laura" named in honor of "Laura's" mother. They name the H. E. Butt Foundation as the beneficiary to receive the account balance after their lifetimes. "Joe" and "Laura" are delighted to start this personal legacy of giving.
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact Bonnie Finley at 830-315-9206 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss using donor advised funds to support the H. E. Butt Foundation and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the H. E. Butt Foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Friends of H.E. Butt Foundation
Address: 719 Earl Garrett Street, Kerrville, TX 78028
Federal Tax ID Number: 74-2749249